Every now and then, we look for opportunities off-site that as a club we feel will support the development of our members and the intended outcomes. On this occasion, we shall be taking our monthly MTB Social ride to the Forest of Dean, instead of Swinley Forest in Berkshire. There are a great selection of adventurous trails in one of the most stunning forests in the UK, with something for everyone.
Sound interesting? Read on to find out more…
When and Where?
We will be running our monthly mountain bike social ride on Monday 27th of August 2018 from 10am for a 10:30am start, finishing around 4pm, so if you fancy honing in on those bike handling skills and want to challenge yourself on a few fantastic trails, do come and join us. There is NO charge for the ride. You can always opt out of the afternoon ride and head home early, if you so wish.
We shall be meeting at the PedalaBikeAway Cycle Centre, Cannop Valley, New Rd, Coleford, Gloucester GL16 7EH. There is a map and more details on the calendar event here. Car Parking is managed by the Forestry Commission and a parking ticket can be obtained from the machine in the centre of the car park. Currently parking charge is £4.00 – £7.00 depending on the length of visit so remember to bring change for the machine.
Are Parents/ Guardians Required To Attend?
Yes. While Slipstreamers Volunteers will be in attendance, i.e. our MTB Coaches/ Leaders, this is not a coaching session and due to the nature of the technical terrain in the Forest of Dean, at least 1 parent/ guardian must also ride on the trails as you will be responsible for your child. This is a social ride so you will also need to ensure you pack and carry your own spares and tools.
The ride is open to ALL Slipstreamers members and their parents/ guardians as well as family and friends. You don’t have to be an expert at mountain biking to attend (none of us are!), but all riders should be comfortable on a mountain bike and have some experience off-road mountain biking either at Swinley Forest, during Saturday sessions at Hillingdon or elsewhere. Equally, you’ll be riding a fair distance and will be out for about 4-6 hours, so a fair amount of endurance will be tested.
If Joining Us, You Will Need…
- A fully functioning mountain bike with knobbly tyres and working brakes.
- Helmets and gloves are mandatory – no exceptions.
- Check the weather and dress appropriately – rain or shine we will enjoy the trails, so be sure to wear suitable kit. If it’s rainy and muddy a rain jacket is a good idea as are waterproof socks, and if it’s warm do wear sunblock and remember the sunglasses.
- Water. A hydration pack is always a good idea. Electrolytes are useful after a long ride.
- It’s going to be a long ride so ensure you pack something to sustain you, like some energy boosting snacks such as nuts, chocolate or cereal bars for out on the trails. You can buy lunch at the café mid-ride where we’ll have our lunch stop, or if you prefer, bring a sandwich for lunch. You will work hard and you are likely to get hungry.
Please Ensure You…
- Check your bike/s BEFORE you leave home – do an M-check a few days before and ensure you’ve sorted out any repairs in good time.
- Eat a hearty and healthy breakfast before you leave home.
This is a great chance to practice and test your MTB handling skills and have a good day out on a MTB. If you are a complete novice to mountain biking, we would suggest building up your skills first and joining us next time at Swinley Forest.
Finally, as usual, keep an eye out on Twitter for updates, and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to email us!