It’s that time of the year again, where ALL Slipstreamers Members – regardless of age or race experience – have the opportunity to challenge themselves in 5 cycling categories i.e. Skills, Time Trials, Road, Mountain Bike, Track; with a view to becoming the Club Champion in their age category.
The is a great way to participate in healthy and fun competition in a familiar environment at Hillingdon with fellow Slipstreamers, even if you have NEVER raced before, never dreamed of being on a road bike, never contemplated giving mountain biking a go, never considered experiencing the thrill of track, and never worked out the point of a time trial!
For a full explanation of how Club Champs works, what to expect, and answers to FAQs, visit this page here.
Last year, Zoe, Katie and Finlay each received a jersey signed by legend Sir Bradley Wiggins (and Slipstreamers VP). This year, the much coveted Club Champs jersey has been signed by Olympic Champions Callum Skinner and Phil Hindes, so if you want it, you have to be in it!
Do also click here for a recap on previous Club Champs, which includes reflections from members who took part, links to individual event reports, and results. Photos from the various previous events an be found on our Flickr site here.
Reminders and the full programme for each event will follow each week on the News Hub before the main event happens, but for now, we present…
The 2017 Hillingdon Slipstreamers Club Championships:
- Round 1 – Skills: 30th September 2017
- Round 2 – Time Trials (no Time Trial bikes, aero bars or other equipment allowed): 14th October 2017
- Round 3 – Road Races: 4th November 2017
- Round 4 – Mountain Bike Races: 11th November 2017
- Round 5 – Track Races: 25 November 2017 (2.30pm to 6:30pm)
A Few Very Important Notes – Please Read Carefully:
- Round 1 – Skills: This is the most important of the Club Champs – in the event of a tie situation, the best time in the Skills Competition will decide the result.
- Round 5 – Track Races: Only riders who have previously attended Calshot, and have been confirmed as OK to ride in the Champs, will be allowed to participate. For safety reasons, only age categories U8 upwards may take part. If in doubt, ask. Be aware of British Cycling Gear Restrictions with regards to track racing for your age category – there will be checks!
- Rounds 2 and 3 – Road and Time Trial: These shall be run on regular road bikes that conform to British Cycling regulations for your age category. Please pay attention to rules around Gear Restrictions and Deep Section Wheels etc. This also includes helmets that are classed as non Road Race legal.
After the final event in November, Club Volunteers will be crunching the numbers and sorting out medals and trophies, and our 12 Club Champions (6 boys, 6 girls – 1 from each age group from U6 right through to U16, ) will be announced and presented with an engraved Club Champ trophy and their fabulous new jerseys during our annual Xmas Party. There are also awards for runners up!
So… do save the dates noted above, familiarise yourself with how it all works and we’ll see you at the first event on Saturday the 30th September.
If you have any questions, feel free to email the Admin Team or come and talk to your Coaches or any of the Club Volunteers. Good luck everyone!